Sunday, November 16, 2008

Soluziona Years 1998-2001

What can I say? I owe my career development to Soluziona.... For the first time in my life I came face to face with challenge when I got employed by Soluziona. Not only was the pay an improvement from KTN, for the first time i was working in a group of age mates, more than 50 and it was in the challenging world of IT.

I was actually late on the first day.... I left Dandora at 05.45 am... The journey from Dandora to Laxcon House should ideally take 15 to 20 minutes maximum. The Nairobi traffic though is out of this world. Getting public transport was always drama... We usually had to walk to kariobangi South a good 30 minutes walk from Phase four because the vehicles turned back that far during rush hour. I remember arriving at 8.15 am with really dusty shoes. That was to be the straw, because I did finally move to my servant quarter in South B the very next month... My mother was really excited.. She even offered to go shopping for household equipment for me.

In Soluziona, I started off my career in SAP. As is the case, I got given the heavy manuals to read and edit being the junior consultant I was hired as. Those agonising moments reading pages and pages of system configuration documents and training materials were to prove priceless.... Being a Spanish company all our bosses were from Spain (naturally) My first boss was called Vicente Bayarri, a tough talking spanish man who had injured his leg in an accident and the resulting walk made him look like a real toughie.. In reality though, he was a very fair guy who believed in hard work and rewarded it. My inspiration though was definitely my team lead Katuku, presently Mrs Wahome!.. She took time out of her schedule to coach me and Mohib...

In Soluziona I made really great friends.. We had our famous Ole Polos nyama choma trips, organised by yours truly JKK... I need to find some of those pics and post them.. Great friends from Soluziona, Owiti, Edu, Nyaema, Ngure, Mwamunga, Spyke, Wahome, Mohib, JB, Maragia, Sila, Sartaaj. Kerai, Paulo.....Wow The Iber family is rather large...
Interestingly very few of thise original consultants remain at home, most having moved into the diaspora. Maybe some day we shall all return and turn the IT industry on its head..........

Most of Soluziona colleagues are now parents, many of us became parents in these past 2 to 3 years.. Which pushes me into my next blog... Today...............

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home